Friday 23 July 2010

Tips On Drawing Horror

Drawing horror is something of an expertise for me, because I like to draw this kind of stuff all the time and in doing so I do often neglect the nicer things in life such as fairies and other fantasy creatures and characters that are quite innocent. ah well on with the show.....!

There are some tips that I can really help you with drawing horror stuff, first, you need to be in that frame of mind to draw some horror art and there is no better way than to watch a few horror films to get into that mindset of horror and depression(well ok maybe not depression!)

Once you've watched a few horror films, then try and draw what you might have liked, maybe there was a creature or zombies in them movies and you fancy a go at drawing one of them or an imaginative version of what you just watched.

I recently re-watched The Evil Dead, because I love that movie and so here are a selection of drawings and sketches inspired by this film, which are mainly faces of the dead....




Also reading horror stories or comic books with horror stories in them are a great way of becoming inspired and can help you to draw some horror stuff, I find drawing a mix of characters and atmospheric buildings a great way of setting up stories within pictures, sort of like when an artist draws and then paints a painting you can see that it tells a story.

Side note: Been checking the features of my scanner and the drawings you see here are just pencil sketches and I've found out how to optimize the values to make it appear darker on the drawings and I just thought I'd share that with you, because I'm not a technical whizz or anything and I figured it out Yayyy!

Now here are a couple of horror sketches that I've left as they were in pencil...


A demonic horror face drawing.....





So when drawing horror art, it is a good thing to just sketch some ideas out and see what happens!

Update: 02/06/21 

Wow, looking back at the way I used to draw over 11 years ago, I shall cringe, just a little bit lol. The way that I sketch, draw and ink my horror art now is much more improved and the way I draw skulls now has become better, but that's what this blog is supposed to show, a progression, a way of viewing the art of yesterday right through to today's art that I am creating for clients and customers all over the world.

Here is something that I created for a client over on fiverr back in 2019 or there abouts:-

Pirate Skull Ink Drawing



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..