Thursday 28 January 2016

Drawing The Mummy Lives Horror Commission

I recently did a horror commission of a classic rendition of The Mummy, now with my drawings I always try to do some off centre ideas that don't show all of the full character, but enough to show a detailed and fun commission, thankfully the Client liked this idea and so I ran with it.

The idea of drawing the mummy had to include a bandaged horror creature drawing and adding just the top head, shoulders and one arm raised helped to make it look like it was waking up from an ancient slumber. Plus the cobwebs were a nice addition to the drawing.

draw a mummy
Light pencil sketch of the mummy on A4 paper
A sharpie marker was used for the main outlines, this doesn't have to be exact because we will be blacking out the background and I can draw the cobwebs in and any other stuff such as correcting the outlines in white.

mummy drawing
Black sharpie marker is a great pen for the basic outlines of the mummy creature.
I like to try and black out the background and try and make it as streak free as possible, but this wasn't necessary as I will do that through Photoshop to clean the image up for the client. I used a large Chisel tip Sharpie marker for the large dark areas and remembering not to go over that small hanging bandage on the arm.

mummydrawing
Bold blacks in the background help the creature come forward more.
 More details were added with fine line ink pens to simulate rotting flesh and to attempt to make the bandages look rotten too. Further white ink lines were added with that classic Sakura gelly roll pen on the cobwebs and extra juicy drips dripping from the undead corpse of the Mummy

draw mummy commission
Notice some of the cobwebs breaking at the top to show that there is some movement.

I did do an alternative version of this mummy drawing, way back in Halloween 2015 and I just recycled the composition of that basic ink drawing. And here is that ink sketch. Often the most annoying thing about quick sketches sometimes is, they look better than the commission I'm trying to draw, so I will develop this quick ink drawing into an art print at some point

mummy ink sketch
Rough draft of an idea I had before I got the mummy commission
See also my other mummy drawing post in which I show you how to draw a mummy through drawing videos here - How To Draw A Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..