Saturday 28 August 2010

How To Draw A Hell Demon With Wings

Drawing a hell demon with wings is a favourite of mine to draw in what ever I like to draw and usually it's the horror side of fantasy art that I tend to draw the most and here is a quick drawing tutorial on how to draw a winged hell demon and I hope you like it!

First off the inspiration behind a winged demon is the gargoyle statues I probably have seen all over the world as I am a bit of a Gargoyle enthusiast really as some of the designs I find so inspiring to draw and create winged type creatures from, in the case of our hell demon we have to start off with the usual shape of the creature and how the muscles will work on the figure and how the wings are going to be drawn and so, here is the bit where I tell you about the first sketch which is the most important.

The beginning figure sketch....

We start off drawing some circle shapes that will represent the structure of the demon creature. Sometimes when I first start to draw I try to draw this way or other times I just draw the figure straight out as I know how to draw basic figures now, so I don't really need to use this method of building up figures from the draft sketch.

This rough draft sketching stage is the all important drawing stage and it doesn't matter if you get a few things wrong or you make a mistake as you can re-draw the sketch or start again. The trick is to just get the basics of the demon figure down on paper and work on it until you are happy with it.

In the drawing below I overlay the circles to emphasize the muscles, but not in great detail, just the general shape of the figure really and this helps to draw over this in the next stage...

First hell demon drawing - Basic Figure Shapes.

Hell demon figure drawing development....

In the second stage of drawing I did in this instance use my lightbox to trace a rough outline of the figure and get a feeling for the full figure and in this drawing you can see the figure taking shape and this is what makes the drawing come together. Obviously I didn't trace over the circles for hands as I wanted them to just be a guide for the demons hands that will have claws and this is what I drew in on the drawing below.

When drawing basic figures keep in mind that the first draft drawing wasn't an exact reflection on all the muscle groups that you can now see in the second demon sketch, as now you can see on the arms, the bicep and tricep aswell as some forearm muscle lines which help to set the whole hell demon drawing off.

Take your time drawing and laying out your figure drawing, because sometimes a figure idea just pops it's way in there half way through the drafting process and what might look good drawing something one way, might look even better if you draw it another.

Look at the demon drawing development sketch....

Finishing stages of the hell demon drawing...

In this drawing the drawing comes together quite nicely and there is no need for any further steps except to color them either with traditional broad art markers or on the computer with Photoshop. I like to ink the demon creature now and bring in some more details like the full demonic face and all of the muscles and finish the wings.

I haven't added much shading as I do want to scan my hell demon drawing into my Photoshop or Gimp art program and see what I can do with it in terms of color design I was thinking of some fire colors which could be a good idea since it is a demon from Hell.

When you are inking your demon creature try and get the important details out the way, such as any movement lines which help to make the drawing appear like it's a living creature and placing uneccesary details into your drawing will do you no good, so wherever possible try and draw only the absolute minimum details that won't over ride the drawing.

Inked Winged hell demon drawing....

1 comment:

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..