Tuesday 29 June 2010

Grim Reaper Drawing - Drawing The Grim Reaper

Grim reaper drawing - How to draw the Grim Reaper

Drawing the Grim Reaper takes a little understanding of drawing skulls and the skeletal form and ragged cloaks too, but other than that it's a fairly creative and inspiring thing to try and draw, I've drawn a few Grim Reapers as tattoos in the past and I loved drawing them.

A Grim Reaper of death is usually black and the skull and hands are a bone colour, although some artists contrast and black and white against the cloak and the bones of the reaper so this is the route I shall take with my Grim Reaper drawing, first as usual is the beginning steps, the draft drawing which will form the basis of our Grim Reaper sketch.

Sometimes when first sketching out a drawing of something you may think oh this isn't going to work, but if you stick with it, the drawing magically just seems to come together, well that's what happened with this Grim Reaper drawing.

And so on our first quick drawing of a grim reaper, we do the usual quick sketching to map out where everything goes and this just gets easier when we try and visualize the drawing and what we want to have appear on the paper.


The next step is to again develo this reaper sketch and start to tinker with it to see what and how it will change, it can be experimental at times and this drawing was for me and I just went along with the flow, I re-work the skull and start to identify the cloaky rags more, I used my lightbox to help out with this by re-drawing over the shape of my first draft sketch I was able to come up with a better drawing easier.

I don't add a great lot of detail at this stage, as I am more concerned about the form of the Grim Reaper, this will come in the next stage, lots of detail and maybe a bit more of the background.



Now I have re-drawn another version using my trusty lightbox and now I can say that I am having fun drawing in all of the detail, all that remains for me to do is to darken it slightly which I'll do soon, but this is how I draw a Grim Reaper and they are not that hard to do if you have the vision to carry it through and have fun while you are doing it.

Refining the image is what makes your drawings look better and this is what I've done, I've made sense of my first two draft drawings and worked through them to develop the idea further.


Grim reaper art © Copyright Wayne Tully.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you whoever you are!

    Wayne Tully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cool, cheers Grant!

    Just been checking out your fantasy gallery, you also have some amazing and quite colourful work, would be great to know how you work and create your works of art....could be good as a guest post from yourself that could be published here on this blog, as I've been meaning to approach people about guest posts...

    Cheers now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks!.....and if there's anything you'd like me to draw or a drawing video or something then do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice drawings ive used some of ur tuts to get a loose grip on my tattoo flash book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers now....just remember my work is copyrighted.

    I hope your book turns out well though and my vids and stuff have inspired you more than anything!

    Nice tat work! Was thiking about being a tattoo artist many years ago, but I just like drawing and creating stuff.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks man im only 14 those are the first tats ive done im working on getting in a shop and noticed i said a loose grip =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers James!

    Seen some of your drawings and you're on the right track!

    Just keep drawing....I'll have to show you what my art used to be like at your age, I've got drawings that I've previously re-designed as they were great ideas and you can see an improvement on the art....might make it as a blog post!

    Cheers now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWW!!! IM SO ADDING THIS BLOG TO MY FAVORITES LIST!! :D GREAT WORK MAN, THANKS A TON!!!


    Anonymous from Turkey :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate Of Awesome Land15 August 2011 at 12:58

    WOAH THAT IS SOO COOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..