Saturday 6 March 2010

New Drawings: Sketchbook Notes

Today I thought I'd go through some of my latest drawings in my sketchbook and just tell you about them, the thoughts and ideas behind them, because that's what could be important and you may find something of use within my notes.

Very often I draw just for the sake of drawing and so sometimes my results for the day end up rather samey and so it is quite a challenge at times to try and draw stuff that is outside of my own comfort zone, but here we are with this first drawing of a viking head, it's a quick and rather sketchy drawing that obviously isn't finished yet but I like where it's headed and it looks alive almost, although there are certain things about it that I certainly would change, like the face needs a bit of shading, but that is the challenge of sketching, sometimes things don't turn out right the first time around.

The viking drawing turned out not so bad as I sketched it with a fine line ink pen and I had fun drawing the serious face and the viking helmet is a classic too with the horns.

I hope to do some more viking drawing practice to get a bit better at them, what is it they say? the more drawing you do the better you get at it!


The next drawing is back to old school for me, because I could do these types of drawings in my sleep and in pitch black darkenss and they'd still turn out alright, such is my confidence in drawing them it is totally arrogant, because I love drawing them and that's a skull, this is in my natural style whch is rather comic book in style and that's the way my art has evolved over the years and I'm glad of that, it would be nice to maybe draw some skulls in the manga style sometime as I like that style of art.

This skull was originally going to be just a skull that would be surrounded in fire, but I couldn't be bothered as it looked just fine without all that flame and most times I would ink the skull but not on this occasion as it looked kind of finished in pencil, all that mattered at the time was for the skull to look angry and evil in some way and I achieved that.


Another thing that I seem to always keep drawing in my sketchbooks, mainly because I am working on several graphic novels which do take up my time frequently and that is a demon sketch, I try to make them evil and always scary looking all the time, so when I first drew up this piece I thought about it either as a stand alone piece or as a tattoo, but quickly realized that there is just too much detail for it to be a tattoo, so I just filed it away for use another day.

I liked the way that it appears like it's looking directly at you, so maybe I could further it's depth by scanning it into my computer and colouring it that way through Gimp or even Paintshop Pro.


A sea creature drawing which was only a quick draft sketch for a larger more finished drawing that I didn't even complete, but it still gives me the raw idea to finish it some day, I liked the idea of the creature trying to coil over the small boat and some water splashing around the boat or at least a few waves being created because of the sea creature attacking, this is definately one to finish as I have fond memories of this 6 year old sketch and it must be a six year old sketch because I don't sign my drawings like that anymore.




I'd like to do more sketchbook showcasing here as I think it provides a useful outlet for showing inspirational sketches and if I talk more about them than I did in this post then you may find it more useful, What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..