Thursday 26 August 2021

Depression: Art Can Heal Your Mental Health

 For years and years I've suffered with depression and the only thing that has really brought me out of that depression is drawing and art, although my family play a big part of me being still around I'm sure too.

I don't really know when it started, but it began to fester into my mind, possibly through self doubt and a lack of self confidence and self belief that my art could ever get anywhere.

On reflection this could stem from my early school years, in which I would consider myself as sort of a social outcast, I mean I had friends that I had a laugh with, but I was shy and reserved around others which made it very difficult and put pressure on me as a child in primary and secondary school and even when I started College and also beyond in working life.

Art has the potential to heal depression

Art can heal depression and anxiety by just the process of creating it. The motivation has to be there of course and you need to get past frustration if the work doesn't turn out how you would like.

Creating art for the past few years for me has been a life saver in a way as I've seen a growth and improvement in my own artwork and a slow growing self confidence in sharing my art works more often, even though not everyone is interested in it, but that's ok, that's life. That's art.

I think, that just by starting to create new art, you are on the journey as an Artist, but also on the road to healing from depression. Of course there could be other factors at work, financial pressures, life commitments, stressful job, or anything else that could interfere with your mental state.

When we leave School, for most people, their child like creativity evaporates if they don't pursue something creative and for some we lose that which we need to make our lives happier and more fulfilled. The ability to create something out of nothing is an achievement, whether it looks good or not, it's the enjoyment of making that can benefit how you see yourself.

Finding your true source of happiness

If you know what types of artwork you like to create,then you are on your way to a good exploration of artists discovery and one that could make you happy. 

art can heal mental health

I, myself love to draw horror art, it's not to everyone's tastes, but it makes me more relaxed, content and happier when I'm drawing the stuff I love to draw. This concept of trying to get your mind to this state could be tied to your true purpose in life and one that you should explore as you don't want to regret not trying in later life.

I still struggle the odd days with self doubt and not believing in myself, but these thoughts come and go like the waves at a beach, pushing past the negative thoughts can be easier by distraction through art, just throw yourself into it and enjoy the processes.



Depression is not weakness


Being depressed is not being weak or anything, it's a blip, a moment in time and it's an obstacle that you can overcome and if you need the help, then ask for it, never be ashamed of it. The more you are open about it, the more others will understand and try to help you or be there for you.

Try to look at why you are suffering from depression and try to improve them areas of your life and throw in a ton of art while you are at it.

I'm always here for anyone that's dealing with depression or anxiety, because I know what it's like.so if you need to reach out, then I'm always available, direct message me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/waynetully

Beat depression by doing what makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..