Sunday 11 September 2016

Painting Mars Attacks Martian With Daler Rowney Oil Paints

Painting a Mars Attacks Martian with Student grade Daler Rowney oil paints. I attempted to do a demonstration of this and it's the first time painting something out of my comfort zone and it turned out well, even though it remained unfinished at the end of the video, it still looked quite cool.

Check out the video directly on YouTube - Painting Mars Attacks Martian With Oil Paints



Here are the thumbnails that were saved for each video section I filmed on my Panasonic Lumix camera and it shows a nice progression to the near finished version right at the end of the video.

Starting off with the Martians head I used a watered down Burnt Sienna which serves as a nice base colour to sketch with. oil paintings and acrylic paintings I never sketch the drawing beforehand.

how to paint mars attacks

Painting in some yellow highlights as a guide for me later on, so I know what parts will have the highlights on the painting.


Green paint is added to the face taking care to try and work out where the shadows will fall on the face with a sort of mid tone green. Also lightening the eyes is needed too.



Trying to make more of the brains structure which I did struggle with because even drawing a brain is actually one of them difficult things to draw. But I was able to blag it and get some spaghetti looking shapes in there that resembled a brain with red oil paint.


Purple is added in the background and thinned out towards the middle of the painting and the eyes lightened further.

oil painting

Red acrylic in the middle and yellow mixed together help great a cool background colour that is cool on the top and warm on the rest, eyes and teeth are straightened with lighter colours too as well as a grey for the collar base for the helmet.


A Blue/Green for the armour and some darker green for the face to help more with the shadows.


The glass casing for the helmet was created with some of the grey paint I mixed for the rest of the helmet collar and also thicker purple paint was added at the top of the painting.

mars attacks oil painting

A pink colour was finally added to the brain in between the red vein strokes and also highlights on the blue/green armour and smaller details like the 2 red lights and the air vent on the collar. Additionally I added some white strokes of paint to the outer glass helmet to attempt some reflections.

mars attacks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fantasy Art Inspiring Resources

It is recommended that you don't spam this blog as your comments won't be published.

I welcome any opinions and feedback about this blog aswell as your chance to shine too as you can find lots of inspiration through this fantasy art blog, so ask questions when you have them and I'll do my best to answer them for you..